Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Polenta, Tempeh, & Vegetable Chowder

Perfect in bed meal.
Hello! Welcome to a complete month of Women Painter Palettes- my Vegan Mofo theme in which prepared meals remind me heavily of a particular female painter's work. I will stick with the themes and incorporate some artistic womanhood in between these 30 posts.

It's that time of year again! Welcome to Vegan Mofo!

I start off with the phenomenal Gabrielle Münter, a 19th century German Expressionist painter and one of the only women in the infamous Der Blaue Reiter group. Their color palettes were intense bursts of vivid hue and emotional vitality. I especially appreciated Münter's line weights and wide shape planes filling up large blocks of space. She is well known for her portraits and still lifes, all featuring her signature chunky layered brush strokes. There is a finesse in her style, her quality of painting that is rarely spoken about.


"Portrait of  a Woman," oil on canvas, 1909.
Today's first Vegan Mofo prompt is breakfast. To me there is nothing like a warm bowl of polenta and veggies in the morning- when I have the time to make it. I thought about Münter's use of orange and green, immediately dreaming about some creamy dish with melted cheesiness in every hungry bite. I wish I had tomatoes to make it more like the actual chosen painting, but alas I am not trying to be super duper accurate. I plan to take a few painting colors and become kitchen inspired by what catches my eye the most. To me, it's the little bits of orange, the green, and the bits of yellow filtering through the green. Does that not say polenta and veggies? 
And speaking of breakfast if you American friends haven't heard, you have until Friday to email ZenFarmer@sweetearthfoods.com for a free Sweet Earth Foods Benevolent Bacon coupon! Woot!

Polenta, Tempeh, & Vegetable Chowder Ingredients and Preparation

2 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 oz tempeh, cubed
8 oz polenta log, chopped 
1 cup green peas and carrots (steamed frozen mix)
2 oz Daiya Mozzarella (or any other vegan cheese)
1/4 cup almond milk

Heat skillet with coconut oil.
Toss cubed tempeh with garlic powder, salt, black pepper, turmeric, and liquid smoke. Throw into skillet- gently. Stir until each side is lightly browned.
Add polenta, smashing down log while stirring and steamed veggies.
Pour in almond milk and Daiya mozzarella. Let melt and turn off heat.

Münter would appreciate anyone on their peas & carrot cues.
Good morning.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried polenta before, this looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polenta is amazing! The recipe possibilities are endless!

      Delete