Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Cheesy Polenta With Pan Seared Tempeh


Cheesy polenta and pan seared tempeh always makes for a lovely, humble beginning in the morning. 

I love a good simple breakfast.
For the past few weeks, I have been creating little bowls of comfort food in this strange weather that hops from cold to warm. Polenta is a primary staple, usually boiled water and a modest helping of Bob's Red Mill Cornmeal does the trick just nicely. It's all about pouring and stirring at the right moment, keeping the lumps at bay.
Cheesy "grits" or cheesy polenta is very easy to make and super quick. I have been enjoying the Violife Cheddar. It melts beautifully and tastes exceptional. Plus, it was on sale at Mom's Organic Market. I love a good vegan cheese sale. The fried tempeh with a pinch of fennel seed is such a pleasant addition, adding crispy texture and flavor (thanks to my favorite spice blend-- berbere).
Overall, a great start to the day, especially delicious and beneficial with a banana peanut butter smoothie.

Cheesy Polenta With Pan Seared Tempeh Ingredients and Preparation

1 1/2 cup water
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Cornmeal
2 slices Violife Just Like Cheddar
3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 tablespoon olive oil (or vegan butter)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 8oz package tempeh, chopped
1 teaspoon berbere spice
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Bring water to a boil.
Add the cornmeal, stirring simultaneously.
Turn off heat and add cheddar, nutritional yeast, olive oil, turmeric, salt, and black pepper.
In a skillet, saute onions and garlic for about three to four minutes.
Add cubed tempeh, berbere spice, fennel seed, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
Sear until tempeh is browned on all sides.




4 comments:

  1. I have never had grits, but cheesy grits sound so yummy. Which is weird because I don't like soft polenta or oatmeal much, so I have a suspicion I won't like grits much. One day I'll get off my buns and try it out though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grits are so good, but I understand you. Some people don't like the grainy texture and if you're not careful lumps are also a downside. Still, I recommend cheesy grits all the time.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great, filling breakfast!

    ReplyDelete