Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Story Of The Unfortunate Vegetable "Omelet"

Fallen apart, open faced "omelet" topped with avocado, a pumpkin maple muffin from Thistle at 2nd Street Market, and a chocolate banana smoothie.
I have been getting away with the lack of using oils for weeks now and have been very enthused about keeping up the tradition. Besides, olive and coconut oils have been so beneficial for exterior purpose- making my skin and hair look radiant when mixed with raw shea and cocoa butters! :D
So this past Saturday, the first of September actually, thought I could continue celebrating "oil free" accomplishment by attempting a tofu omelet.
Insert music of doom.
Da da da dum.

Vegetable "Omelet" Ingredients
1/2 package tofu (though I used extra firm, looks like it's highly recommended to use Mori-nu Lite Silken)
3 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper

Filling
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 cups spinach
1 cup cooked drained chickpeas
2 diced Roma tomatoes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 ripened avocado (does anyone really eat only half?)
salt and pepper to taste


There goes the batter in the medium heat nonstick pan, looking smooth. Looking fine. 
Yet 7 minutes later, the mean spatula made it fall apart upon flipping. I singlehandedly salvaged disaster by placing my filling on top. Thus, making it an open faced "omelet."
In the end, a bit cohesive and a little messy, but certainly not scrambled, the opened faced "omelet" is topped with brown rice, Roma tomatoes, spinach, chickpeas, and sliced avocado. 
Tasted creamy and smooth, but I would have much preferred a more firmer texture. 
Though not of the desired consistency, it was a yummy, fulfilling breakfast/brunch dish and I probably would make it again because by that last savory bite, stomach too stuffed for that pumpkin muffin, I finally decided to fall in love.
That happens often in these test kitchen experiments.
One minute, I'm sad and gloomy over my plate and the next, I wished not to have been so harsh when leftover crumbs are staring at me.
Still, wished I read this blog post here first: Low Fat Vegan Silken Tofu Omelet
Definitely a pivotal aide for my next "omelet" attempt and happily enough, her recipe doesn't call for any oil either! :D








No comments:

Post a Comment