Monday, February 24, 2014

Geniuses & Chunky Chocolate Banana Pudding

A delicious treat for chocobananaholics out there!
My landlord can be very nice. Too nice at times.
After I revealed being accepted into the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts MFA Program, he told me something quite surprising.  
"I always knew you were a genius," he said. "I knew it the first day I met you. I said to myself  'this girl is going to go places.'"
It's outrageous to say such a thing aloud. However, it's incredibly humbling praise. Won't lie about that. Of course he then rambled on about oddities and such.... This notion that an eccentric person tip toeing away from stereotype and superficial molds is profound. I simply move to the beat of an inner kettle drum and strive to go forward on a path that promises a positive, creative direction. 
Ages ago, I learned more at a two day workshop at the good ole Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts- drawing with Edgar Jerins! A fascinating artist with an acting wife and two darling daughters- Ruby (Nurse Jackie, Deception) and Sterling Jerins (Shutter Island, The Conjuring), Edgar Jerins gave awesome pointers on perspective and even took a few minutes to visit my studio to discuss decision making via color choices and materials. It was the first time that anyone has ever suggested that I use a large, clean disposable paper palette (my critics often suggest big pieces of glass). One thing that I don't do often enough is clean my brushes. Dried, crisp death can be averted. Jerins also told me to build up luminosity- adding more light values. In my paintings there is no light. Only darkness. Apparently, titanium white kills colors. Zinc white is in. Little tidbits that can help me enrich my artistic practice. I'll always treasure that precious allotted time.

Jerins showing perspective method using string.
Jerins teaching how to shift eyes in different direction.
Jerins posted our class photo to the Facebook world.
In between learning that I'm a genius (insert head scratching), how to create "good" art, and writing about these wonderful experiences, one does tend to become famished. Maybe that's just me. I'm always hungry. Eating out is great and all- convenient more or less, but being in the kitchen, preparing my own meals is so satisfying. It's like going to galleries and admiring inspiring art that drives desire to make art as soon as possible. Is that absurd to enjoy restaurant food yet crave your own?
Lately, I've paired bananas and chocolate. Made incredible chocolate sauced bananas, chocolate banana pancakes and this amazing pudding. This week, I plan to post these experimental recipes. Sharing is caring. Bananas are a terrific source of many feel good vitamins and minerals. Chocolate is too. (Hold in that coughing). But umm.... this isn't a healthy dish here. No apologies. Chunky Chocolate Banana Pudding promises to be all guilty and nothing much else. Oh, wait. It's delicious! SOooooooooooo delicious! Thick, rich, and sinfully sweet, expect a chocolate coated banana in every chilled bite. Worthy of bowl licks and pats on the back. For kicking variation, add a smidgeon of cinnamon or ginger.

Chunky Chocolate Banana Pudding Ingredients and Preparation

We are all gathered here today to join these ingredients in holy matrimony.

1/3 cup So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 bananas, ripened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Bring milks and sugar to a boil.
Add cocoa powder.
Inside a small bowl, mash bananas with vanilla.

Bring cocoa, brown sugar, and milk to a modest boil on medium heat.
Stir in mashed banana mixture. Blend evenly. Turn off heat. You can either choose to puree in a blender or food processor or keep it at the chunkier consistency. Pour into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 6 hours.
Serve chilled. I topped it off with cold sliced bananas and walnut pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment