Monday, March 31, 2014

Vegan Mini Pepperoni Polenta Pizzas

Skip the dough fest and use polenta for a fresh spin on pizza!
Time is of the essence. Deadlines and critiques and graduation galore. My thoughts are of nothing else.
March is over today. After endless showers, the weather unveiled pretty sunshine. Well, sort of. The gusty wind blew away good intentions. Still a jacket required outing.
On the plus side, I used my new baking pan. For a while there, I used a cheap cookie sheet, now with this $25 retail valued nonstick addition found for $7, I feel a sense of worthiness.
Polenta. Polenta. How I love polenta. Once I had baked pasta with pepperonis because the soy ground was all gone. I called it pizza mac. Now here it goes with polenta- my other love. Who doesn't enjoy using polenta as a pasta substitute? Garden veggie polenta lasagna with tofu ricotta or ravioli stuffed polenta are just some delicious sounding meals that I would love to create sometime. Thankfully, polenta is versatile- a recipe underdog for the toughest entree fix. For now, here's pizza.
Seasoned with garlic, Italian seasonings, and olive oil, same ingredients added to homemade dough, little polenta rounds are then topped with tradition. I was disheartened that my oven is a weirdo. How else could I explain how some of Follow My Heart's cheese melted on some rounds and not on others?
Anywho, these miniature pizzas are quite delicious! Great appetizer fun. If having a party, five people could have five apiece, but if eating solo.... well, do your own kind of math. Ha ha! ;)

Vegan Mini Pepperoni Polenta Pizzas Ingredients and Preparation

1 18 oz. pkg polenta, sliced thinly (I made 25 slices)
olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic
1 1/2 Italian seasonings
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
tomato sauce
Follow Your Heart mozzarella, thinly sliced and cut into small squares
Yves Pepperoni (had 25 pepperonis)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Bake polenta for 30 minutes- 15 on each side.

Spread about 1/2 tablespoon tomato sauce on each polenta circle.
Top sauce with a sliver of cheese.
One slice of pepperoni each. Bake for 15 minutes.
While some of the cheese didn't melt like how I wanted (will maybe slice thinner?), still pretty good nonetheless!
Two bites and bam! They disappear instantly.
The melted cheese ones were the best surprises!

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a cool pizza crust! I get so excited by the creative alternative crust! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jolyn! I say take even bigger creative authority and use all kinds of veggies as a topper (or crust). Wanna make zucchini "pizzas" next. :)

      Delete