Thursday, May 29, 2014

Vegan Roasted Artichoke & Roasted Potato Pizza

Be still my heart- it's roasted artichoke and roasted potato pizza!
I love learning to prepare new foods and today's recipe bears no exception!
In a spare classroom, weeks ago, an instructor left an array of free fresh vegetables set for a finished still life. I took cherries, apples, and two artichokes knowing darn well that I never prepared them before. One of my friends said, "just coat it in olive oil and lemon juice and bake. It's incredible!"
Artichokes with their prickly edges scared me quite to death, but I overcame that fear and cut off the thorns (getting stabbed in the process). Also, it's important to have a snack like peanut butter apples or some Earth Balance Cheddar Puffs during this pizza making. It's an hour and a half of preparation time. One could also roast artichokes and potatoes and refrigerate them overnight, putting on a pizza crust for tomorrow- which frankly truth be told, I did this. I feel like a cook show "cheater"- making a pie from scratch live and already having a finished pie in the oven.
Anywho, I loved this pizza!
Artichokes, which turned out very well, mingling with yummy flavorful roasted potatoes is surprisingly tasty. Whilst my brain wrapped around my fascinating idea, my taste buds loved chewing into soft textures of eccentric ingredients. Although melted cashew cream, Daiya, Trader Joe''s or Follow Your Heart would have been a great addition, no artificial cheese was necessary.  I didn't use a sauce, but I suggest a vegan white or simple "butter" sauce might be perfect.

Pretty yet frightening- the almighty artichoke!

Vegan Roasted Artichoke & Roasted Potato Pizza Ingredients and Preparation

2 artichokes
1 pound little gold potatoes
red onion
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup almond milk
salt and black pepper

3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon turmeric
 pizza dough

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Coat artichokes in olive oil and lemon juice.
Wrap both securely in foil.
Coat potatoes in olive oil, Italian seasonings, and salt and black pepper.

Lay them around the artichokes. Bake for an hour.
Take potatoes off and put sheet bake in the oven, baking artichokes for another 25 minutes.

One roasted artichoke ready to be plucked.
Turn oven heat down to 350 degrees.  
Let artichokes cool before taking off leaves, scraping fuzzy part, and taking out the heart.
Mix potatoes, artichoke hearts, almond milk, nutritional yeast, and turmeric together, mashing on occasion.
Layer this on prepared pizza dough.

Nicely browned and baked.
Close up of deliciousness.
Sprinkled additional Italian seasonings atop. Can never get enough of that aromatic oregano, rosemary, and thyme blend.
Pizza mountain of "French" fries and artichokes meeting savory crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment