Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Black Rice & Veggies With Raw Walnut Cream

Raw walnut cream can be a super terrific topper for black rice.
Another year of school starts next week-- the last new school year. Well, the last unless I consider a doctorate in painting and drawing. I'm sure that has been done millions of times...
I cannot stop thinking about a dream food truck. The AfroVeganChick food truck would travel throughout the 50 states (Hawaii would be most challenging) and Canada, maybe even Mexico to bring about yummy plant based food goodness. I would like to have a menu mixing cooked and raw, savory cuisine and sweet desserts, water and fruit smoothies quenching offerings in between. How's that for an out of art school adventure?  Yes. It's still a dream. A nice dream.
In other vegantastic news, few weeks ago, one of my co-workers asked me, "what does one do with black rice?"
Black rice?! Now I love black rice! Black rice has a hearty, rustic flavor.   
I had no choice but to gush over the wonders of my grain ardor and making a simple sauce to give dinner time a creamy, nutty fulfillment. Both Lotus Foods and Lundberg make a great black rice-- I picked the latter brand for this recipe. With firm vegetables blended in, my favorite easy peasy walnut concoction gives any rice or pasta dish amazing flavor- no dairy free milk or heat needed!

Black Rice & Walnut Cream Ingredients and Preparation

1 cup Lundberg Pearl Black Rice (cooked according to package directions)
1 cup steamed veggies (used broccoli and carrots here)
1 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked in 1 cup water
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Soak walnuts overnight.
Do not drain the water.
Puree walnuts and walnut water into blender or food processor with olive oil, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, coriander, and black pepper.

After cooking black rice, mix with veggies and walnut cream.
Stir evenly.
Share with your happy, hungry friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment