Saturday, October 31, 2015

Happy Halloween: Zucchini & Apple "Brains" Stuffed Acorn Squash

Happy Halloween everyone!
"Twas dark and stormy on all Hallow's Night,
Giving costumed children cold shivers and fright.
With wet candy buckets and bags, little ones cried,
As the full moon showed them nowhere to hide." 

I hope everyone is having a safe and fun holiday. As my vegan peeps take their kidlets out to collect here's praying that there is actually vegan candy being offered. Annie's fruit snacks and Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cups would certainly be at the top of my list. I'm not costumed up this year. Just didn't have the time in between being sick and staying in bed (when I wasn't making soup!).
Still, no use beating myself, I'm in the spirit. I plan to watch Hocus Pocus, Addams Family, Harry Potter (one not all 8), etc. Halloween marathons are the best.
The idea of zucchini and apple "brains" popped into my mind. Of course with it being gourd season, an array of fall recipes use gourds as "bowls."
I loved letting this creative side emerge bright. As the little acorn squashes baked, filling the house with a smell Glade plug-ins cannot mimic, I sharpened a knife. I wanted to draw a little pumpkin face into my sweet dinner.
The flavors are quite pleasant, having sweetened deeper in the oven. Zucchini and apple work together with cinnamon and company and the squash itself-- which can be scraped along the sides. Tastes like a very intriguing sort of Halloween pie. 
Other than that, I am rusty with my carving skills. *lets out a long sigh*

Zucchini & Apple "Brains" Stuffed Acorn Squash Ingredients and Preparation

2 acorn squash, remove seeds
1 zucchini, shredded like spaghetti
1 Fuji apple, chopped
1/4 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Ready up a baking sheet with oil or parchment paper.
Rub a thin layer of olive oil and cinnamon on the inside and outside of hollowed acorn squash.
Mix zucchini, apple, maple syrup, olive oil, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and salt together.

Spoon mixture into acorn squash. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Cut out eyes and mouth if desired. I did a sloppy job here.
Eat the harm free "brains." Instant zombie gratification.

No comments:

Post a Comment