Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Blueberry Ice Cream


Last Friday night, I had the pleasure of standing in a long line just to try out the vegan blueberry ice cream at Franklin Fountain. Philadelphia's famous sweet dessert is served in style similar to Asian takeout container with signature insignia on the front. Other flavors such as dairy free vanilla and chocolate were also being catered to vegans, but unique blueberry's potential dynamite flavor called out in siren's song.
I hadn't had blueberry in an ice cream, let alone a sorbet or sherbet.

Oh my! This was incredibly fantastic. Lovely lavender color, sweet tangy blueberry in a soy milk based foundation, the little blueberry bits-- a new found addictive. I savored my ice cream with a joyous relish, wanting nothing more to eat blueberry meets vanilla forever and ever.
When the eagerly monstrous inspiration bug hit, making my taste buds itch with fiery anticipation, I raced to the kitchen in hopes of creating a Franklin Fountain knockoff ice cream.
Unfortunately, my desperate attempt didn't come out as pretty, having more of a faint nod to purple and a bigger vanilla flavor than needed. Next time-- soy milk and less vanilla (or more blueberries).
Still, I will not downplay good results.   
My blueberry ice cream is a great summer sure shot-- a delightful, berryful way to beat sweltering heat.

Blueberry Ice Cream Ingredients and Preparation

2 cup frozen blueberries
1 13.5 oz. full fat coconut milk
1 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine ingredients together in a blender or food processor.
Pour into steel bowl, cover tightly, and freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment