Friday, April 28, 2017

A Short Visit Home Part One: Butter Cafe Goodies & Mom Love

Whenever in Dayton, a vegan's best bet is always a morning trek to Butter Café for delicious plant based dishes. I tried out the tofu scramble tacos (which was a special of the day) on a bed of mixed greens with a side of breakfast potatoes.

Tofu scramble tacos also featured slices of ripened avocado, corn, and black beans with a side of mild salsa.

After breakfast, I visited my mom who is in fine spirits. I thank everyone for their well wishes. She is doing great. I brought her my first watercolor still life that I completed in a continuing education class. Mom liked the piece so much, it's pinned to her corkboard alongside with a craft bunny she made on Easter.

Mom holding Butter Café's signature pink dessert box.

It was difficult to pick a cupcake. I love having many vegan options to pick from. Unfortunately, there were no lemon treasures and I hadn't had the time to find the raw vegan lady specializing in raw lemon blueberry cheesecakes. Yet Butter Café is no mere loser. In fact, I think we scored big with these pretty delights. I decided with the vegan trio-- strawberry kiwi, snickerdoodle, and banana.

As we watched Maleficent, we ate our delightful, yummylicious cupcakes, the beautiful yellow rose banana being a sweet surprise. Ma had the strawberry kiwi (which flavor wise was the best! with a fruity, citrus cake and light frosting).

The snickerdoodle cupcake was phenomenal, tasting like my favorite scrumptious cookie in a moist, fluffy cake with an irresistible cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
All in all, I enjoyed spending precious moments with my mom. I only see her once a year. Perhaps, I must change this habit. Time is a short, fickle thing that one cannot take lightly. The second I saw her smiling wide, sitting in her wheelchair waving from the window was a highlight of this trip back to Ohio.  I learned a lot: from talking a bunch about past and future, watching her undergo leg therapy, beating her old walking distance on the walker, retaining a happy spirit....
There are just some experiences a child (even at adult age) shouldn't miss out on when it comes to their parents. They are getting older, but also fragile too.

4 comments:

  1. Your watercolor piece is absolutely beautiful! I'm sure your mom treasures it! I'm so glad you had a wonderful visit, and also that she is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you! I appreciate your kindness as always. <3

      Delete
  2. Glad you got some quality time with your mum. I only see mine a few times per year, and it's really tough.

    Those cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!

      I bet it's tougher in your case due to the traveling, right? Still, it's wonderful that you get to see yours as well.

      Delete