Thursday, September 27, 2018

Vegan Mofo 2018 Post 23: Arroz Roce


São Tomé and Príncipe are an island nation in the Gulf of Guinea, near western coast of central Africa, with Gabon closest. The official language is Portuguese and Forro, Angolar, and Principense are also spoken. It is a hot and humid location with a few bird species and plants thriving in Africa's second smallest country. The main agricultural crop is cocoa and then palm kernels, copra, and coffee. Their cuisine is mostly beans, corn, cooked bananas, pineapple, avocado, coffee as seasoning, hot spices, and sweet potato omelettes.
I wasn't partial to making rice pudding. Once, I had a stepfather that demanded my siblings and I to eat sugared white rice. Back then, we were raised on butter and salted rice. I thought it was one of the grossest creations known to man-- well next to my hatred of ham and spam. Still, the island's popular arroz roce is divine and simple dessert. I didn't have coconut milk on hand, but So Delicious French Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer and regular almond milk thickened the rice well enough. The kitchen smelled so sweet and fragrant, I couldn't wait to devour a bowl or two. This models the recipe from the 196Flavors blog.

Arroz Roce Ingredients and Preparation

1 1/4 cup rice
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut creamer
1/2 cup almond milk

Bring rice, lemon juice, and cinnamon stick to a boil.
Add salt, sugar, cinnamon, coconut creamer, and dairy free milk.
Allow rice to thicken.


6 comments:

  1. I once tried to make rice pudding and I seriously failed. I sometimes feel like I want to try it again but I'm scared. An what's more I don't even actually know if I like rice pudding! Maybe I'll try this and see, it sounds amazing and perfect for a cool fall night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting and compliments! I'm sorry to hear about your prior rice pudding efforts. I completely understand the reluctance. I too have been undecided on whether rice pudding is good or bad. Maybe this recipe will clear the air.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, this sounds like my kind of dessert! I love a good creamy, coconutty rice pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find sweet rice a little odd... but I can't explain why that's weird by rice pudding isn't. lol A friend from college said she use to eat white rice with cinnamon, milk, and sugar for breakfast almost everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend's recipe is definitely what our stepdad tried to feed us! :D
      Rice pudding is something that I must plan to eat more often. It's better than sweet rice on all accounts.

      Delete