Monday, December 24, 2018

Peace Black Rice Bowl With Chickpeas, Mushrooms, and Avocado

Forbidden black rice topped with feel good ingredients.
I start off with recipes made over the past few weeks. Today isn't a challenging step by step process. It is one of a simple pleasure-- black rice as the foundation topped with pan seared chickpeas and mushrooms and a just right avocado. The topping is crushed red pepper, black pepper, and salt. The meal is hearty, wholesome, and fulfilling-- a perfect everyday meal.
After eating, it inspired me to think about grocery shopping. I want to go into the new year with a fresh perspective, a new approach. Plant based purity has been weighing heavily, especially considering that the prices for vegan substitutes are quite high and often out of my price range. My budget is smaller now. I take that as a sign to shift my diet, to advance my original vegan resolution to one of a deeper sentiment.
The journey started with the library. I checked out books that were phenomenal and soul searching. Books about food history. Black authored plant based nutritional cookbooks. I also took out advice on how to become a stronger writer, but that is for a whole other post.....
Still, I love black rice. It's a gorgeous food that lights up when surrounded by bright colors and varying textures. Plus, there is nothing more superb than opening up that avocado at the perfect time.

Peace Black Rice Bowl Ingredients and Preparation

1 cup Forbidden Black Rice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 cup chickpeas (drained from the can)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
dash of crushed red pepper (optional)

Prepare rice to package directions.
In a hot skillet, combine garlic and olive oil. Stir for five minutes.
Add mushrooms, chickpeas, turmeric, cumin, salt, paprika, and black pepper. 
Cook until mushrooms are browned and shrunken.

The bowl is this-- black rice on the bottom and chickpea mushroom stir fry and scooped avocado to the side. 

2 comments: