Sunday, December 2, 2012

Vegan Pumpkin Macaroni And Cheese

This Baked Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese was a surefire hit at Thanksgiving!
This week, I wanted to share my four holiday recipes made at this year's first vegan Thanksgiving.
And we're starting off with more pumpkin madness!
Yummmmmmm!
Inspired by Vegan Fling's Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese, the concoction sounded quite impressive, especially with the site's yummy artistic shots that made mouth water at the computer screen.
I just had to give it a try!
Putting a little delightful pumpkin spin to my traditional cauliflower cheese recipe and amping up the ooey gooey cheesy factor with Daiya aide, this Vegan Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese proved to be a real winner.
I see no problem with the task of making this again for Christmas and will add delicious broccoli florets or fresh spinach to the folding process as well as crushed walnuts or pine nuts in the crumb topping!

Vegan Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese Ingredients

1 12 oz package whole wheat rotini
3/4 package Daiya Mozzarella Cheese Shreds
2 cup cauliflower
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (used Almond Breeze)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon curry powder

Topping

2 teaspoon panko bread crumbs
2 teaspoon flour
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of cinnamon

extra Daiya cheese


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bring pasta to a boil.
Prepare cauliflower and puree into a blender with almond milk, pumpkin, garlic and onion powder, nutritional yeast, and salt.
In a baking dish, stir in 3/4 of Daiya cheese with the pasta.
Fold in the pumpkin cauliflower cheese mixture- a 1/2 cup at a time.
Spoon over the topping. Add extra bread crumbs and remainder of Daiya. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Alas, here presents my holiday feast with the Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese dominating the top right corner. Also pictured- Cranberry Orange Ginger Sauce, Portabella Mushroom, Asparagus, & Walnut Couscous Stuffing, Garlic Red Skinned Mashed Potatoes, & a yeast roll.
There were no leftovers of anything.
And this superb Vegan Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese was the first fork and knife casualty.
Mom loved the unique spin (though she isn't the biggest pumpkin fan), little brother thought it tasted super good, and my older brother said on Facebook that my dishes were exceptional.
Their beautiful sentiments brought tears to my eyes.
I'm so thankful to have such a family. I truly am.
It's a blessing to cook for them and the many others who enjoy my vegan experimentations!
Plus the people behind these amazing products- Daiya, Almond Breeze, So Delicious, 8th Continent, and countless others are holding my hand and cheering me on from this holiday season onto the next.

2 comments:

  1. Pumpkin Mac & Cheese?!

    Wow Janyce (nice to meet you, BTW), I would've never thought of that! I've made cauliflower mac & cheese before, & served it to 30 omnis on Thanksgiving-they devoured it.

    My only concern with the pumpkin would be the flavor profile. Does it come out "pumpkin-y" at all (know what I mean)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ilena! Nice to meet you too!

      Isn't cauliflower mac & cheese just wonderful? I too know many who enjoy it! Now with the additional pumpkin puree into the mixture, it brings about a seasonal counterpart that is uniquely different. It is "pumpkin-y" but light and balanced in the dish. I cannot describe that spicy flavor in concrete enough detail, but I assure you it tastes delicious. My family loved it! :)

      Delete