Friday, December 14, 2012

Baked Vegan Falafel With Creamy Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

A chunky yet creamy cucumber yogurt sauce drenches baked falafel on top of couscous.
Personally, I detest cucumbers.
They are far from my favorite anything.
When seeing those green circular shapes of wrath, I cringe and pick them out of sandwiches, wraps, and salads, wondering why on earth anyone would like such nastiness.
Even the smell and the thought of having them on my eyelids drives me insane!
Then a couple of years ago, my little sister turned me into the falafel craze and this amazing special yogurt sauce gave "beefy" Mediterranean patty a sweet, tantalizing kick.
"What is this called?" I had asked, wiping that white magic from my lips, awed by the fantastic creation.
"Cucumber yogurt sauce," she replied.
Well, I didn't die on the spot of lie for that matter.
It was pretty damn good stuff.
I learned a valuable lesson with my falafel wrap- cucumbers are not so villainous when chopped and diced into a tangy cream with a zip that cannot be beat.
Thus, easily veganized, I prepared baked falafel and crafted a smooth sauce that reminded me of old times.

A simple sauce just made for falafel!
Creamy Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

1 6 oz container plain So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt
1/4 cup non-dairy creamer (I used So Delicious brand)
1 small diced cucumber
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
pinch of paprika

Whip all ingredients together and chill.

This recipe was inspired by a cute designed blog called Tasty Yummies by Beth.
Baked Falafel Bites

1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup flour

Mix the chickpeas with all sans baking powder & flour.
Pulse into a food processor or blender. Add baking powder & flour. Make into dough (add more flour if it's too wet) & refrigerate covered for 30-45 minutes.
While making the dough balls, preheat oven to 400 degrees. I ran out of parchment paper so I had to grease my cookie sheet with olive oil. Boo. Bake for 20-25, flipping over at halfway point.
Serve falafel in any way desired- in a pita, on top of  rice or couscous. Just don't ever forget to scoop that cool cucumber yogurt sauce atop generously.




No comments:

Post a Comment