Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Spicy Black Beans & Rice

Hot sauce amps up flavor profile of traditional black beans and rice.
Finally received school schedule yesterday as an MFA candidate and cannot rein inside excitement. It's going to be quite a challenging year. Orientation is August 24-26 and school begins that same week. With Tuesday (my birthday is on a Tuesday!) and weekends free, I haven't had a class almost everyday in like forever. Thankfully I scored only one morning class- which falls on a Monday (three alarm clocks required). Classes are Reframing Theory Seminar, Core Critique Group (a small band of classmates and three instructors talking individual practice), Lo-Fi Translations Drawing, and Private Studio with visiting critic Abigail Deville. I'm uber thrilled about Abigail because she happened to be my first pick! Eeeeek!!!!
Enough school cheer. For now.
All things are not delicious in vegan ville and talking processed vegan meats.
I have a dear friend who says that the cure for most bad cuisines is hot sauce. If you've been an avid reader of the blog, you'll note that I've rarely used that ingredient or the craziness of sriracha. Hot sauce or hot pepper sauce is primarily made of red chili peppers and other ingredients, a condiment that kicks up spice cravings whenever desired.
So while at Kroger, someone told me that they had a bin of clearance vegan cheese. Naturally, I bought more than I needed. It's not everyday that Daiya is a half off Manager's Special. 
One of my favorite dishes is rice and beans. I prefer black beans over the popular red beans. A simple one skillet meal that provides fiber and protein alongside guilty pleasures like melted Jalapeno Garlic Havarti Wedge, addictive coriander (I adore coriander!) and hot sauce. Plus addition of broccoli and cauliflower doesn't hurt. I never would have thought to add hot sauce to black beans and rice, but glad to have provided the fiery tool.

Spicy Black Beans & Rice Ingredients and Preparation

1 cup brown rice (I used a 10 minute variety which saves so much time)
1/2 cup broccoli, steamed
1/2 cup cauliflower, steamed
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Daiya Havarti Jalapeno Garlic Wedge
2 tablespoon hot sauce

Cook your brown rice accordingly. Should make two cups.
Add black beans and simmer.
Add cooked veggies, spices, and melt in Daiya.
Pour on the hot sauce and serve.
Also sprinkle additional red pepper flakes.
Glorious mountaintop of hot sauced heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment