Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Fried Brussels Sprouts

Twice cooked Brussels sprouts are a perfect last minute addition to a vegan (or not) holiday feast.
I was all set out to make pumpkin pie bread for today's gift idea, but it must wait. I didn't realize my vanilla extract had disappeared into pantry abyss. Now Friday is our scheduled weekly column.
Oh well. Stuff happens.
Thanksgiving is tomorrow- my first year without family. I have to make due being alone and creating art. I am fortunate that the school has 24/7 access to private studio. At the same time, I feel bad for the security guards having to work the front desk. We're missing out on the food being prepared since dawn, the extended family probing questions, the football (yuck! not a fan), the passing out on the couch, etc. 
I do wish everyone a pleasant holiday and remember to love your bellies. Plates should not be beach ball portions....
I'm sharing a simple dish that could complete the no animals harmed buffet-- fried Brussels sprouts. The addiction started with Whole Foods Market's hot food bar. Every time I saw the fried Brussels sprouts I reached for those little green cabbages instantly.  That irresistible charred crunch gives so much flavor depth. The texture switches from a crisp exterior to a pliant, tender bite that is just very pleasing to eat.

Fried Brussels Sprouts

1 16 oz bag frozen Brussels Sprouts
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of nutritional yeast

To boiling water, add the entire bag of Brussels sprouts. Let cook until soft and tender. Drain.
In a skillet, combine Brussels sprouts with olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, and nutritional yeast. Keep stirring until there is a nice sear on each side.

Let them fry for 7-9 minutes.
Turn off heat. Enjoy the aroma.
Serve alongside any pasta-- delicious with farfalle.

No comments:

Post a Comment