Thursday, November 19, 2015

Little Choc Apothecary's Vegan Crepes & More

In the heart of Brooklyn lies something unique.
A few Thursdays ago, I came straight off the train and walked down Havermeyer Street. Excitement and eagerness kissed the warm day as I imagined phenomenal vegan crepes everyone was raving about-- including a non-vegan artist chick I recently met. When a non-vegan raves about a vegan restaurant, it's definitely a good sign.
Speaking of crepes, the last time I had a crepe was six years ago in France.

Throwback Thursday: Paris, France, March, 2009. Hideous red glasses and not a complimentary glass bottle of water.
This was one of many vegetarian crepes I had consumed. I ate crepes every single day in Paris-- both savory and sweet.
I liked the setting of Little Choc Apothecary. The interior has an earthy aesthetic with its pleasant bare wood grain beauty, live juice bar in active motion, and fresh fruit and plants popping around in random nook and crannies. Plus sitting at the stools to see fall leaves and feel the warm air breezing on a smiling face is pure rapture.
Plus, I entered at the tail end of Serge Gainsborough and Jane Birkin's highly sensual song, "J'Taime' Moi Non Plus" (listen at your own risk!). That was a surefire sign that a tantalizing experience-- with food-- awaited. The impressive menu made decision making hard, but I settled on a pizza crepe stuffed with coconut bacon and mushrooms, a chocolaty scone, and almond milk hot chocolate.

Great thing to note: afternoon tea with a pastry menu! Perfection.
Pumpkin rooftop view from across the street.
Pizza shaped and pizza scented. Nothing beats that basil aroma.
Close up.
Perfect lunch set up.
Almond milk hot chocolate and out of this world scone (not the title but should be).
Digging in the crepe. The cashew cream was exceptionally flavored well and the smooth texture contrasted nicely against the sweet tomato sauce, the crunchy flair of coconut bacon, and the meatiness of the mushrooms. As for the crepe-- soft and pliant, fork tender, nice balance between pancake fluff and thin airiness. Plus the basil made the day! So delicious. I made sure to devour slowly as to enjoy each bite affectionately.
The scone. Soft, and moist with crumbly texture, this sweet dessert cookie, muffin-y treat had a rich, dense chocolate melting on the tongue, tasty shredded coconut, and an interior that had some note of banana flavor.
I loved the French music, the food, the earthy atmosphere, but....... I wish the staff was nicer and made the place more welcoming-- to everyone, not just their regulars. I would love to come back and try out the other crepes. In fact, I mentioned this all vegan creepy to a friend today. Yet it is a question of wanting to return back to that unsettling hostility...... *sighs*

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I wish we had a vegan crepe joint here!! Our newest Whole Foods has a creperie inside, but they only make non-vegan ones. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww. I know what you mean. Philly should invest in an all vegan creperie sometime too. I know it's a challenge making those delectable thin wispy pancakes, but someone out there has the skill and precision to veganize and make crepes a nationwide accessibility. :)

      Delete