Saturday, May 27, 2017

Veggie Heaven is What The Title Says It Is

I loved the beautiful décor of Veggie Heaven, right in Montclair, New Jersey. It looked like a sweet, homey place to have comfort food and more. An old Ohioan friend and I decided to stop here for lunch. The handy Garmin device suggested Veggie Heaven as the nearest vegetarian/vegan restaurant. Naturally, we headed there with hope and hunger. After all, the previous evening, spent in NYC's Chinatown, proved to be a food disaster that bore no repeating.

Pretty potted plants, white, ornate door frames, and pale pink exterior walls were cleanly designed, attractive to the artist eye.
I ordered the $6.50 lunch special which includes soup or spring roll with main course. The portions are sumptuous enough. I started off with the wonton soup. The light broth had little slivers of mushrooms and green leaf (it wasn't cilantro) with two plump veggie filled wontons. Very hot, but tasty. 

Sweet Potato Rolls (not part of the lunch special, but at $4.25 what's not to love), were absolutely divine. This superb sushi delight features warm sweet potato wrapped in nori and rice and sprinkled with sesame seeds. It was sooooooo delicious. My friend also ordered the same. We also received a complimentary pot of flavorful tea. My friend had sugar packets. I did not (despite how this photo looks).

Yummy yummy!

Sesame Chik'n (yes to more sesame seeds!), my excellent main dish, made me swoon deep in my heart and soul. The "meat" was tender and crisp and the sauce was light, not too heavy or salty. Perfectly balanced with the brown rice, broccoli, and sliced red bell pepper. My friend enjoyed her fake "chicken" so much more than what she had the previous night. I'll get to that terrible experience in a later post. For now, I'll just say that our time at Veggie Heaven was divine, near perfection. We had delicious comforting cheap food, wonderful service, and absolutely had no room for dessert. That's the definition of success. 

2 comments:

  1. I used to love wonton soup in my pregan days, and haven't been able to find a vegan version. Your meal looks gorgeous and delicious. I need to make sweet potato rolls one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I have had a few vegan wonton soups that were out of this world fantastic. I want to make sweet potato rolls someday too. :)

      Delete