Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Donuts and Other Good News

The exhibition catalogue is here!!!
I have good news to discuss.
First of all, I am now a contributor of The Artblog-- Philly's top source for arts and culture around the city and beyond. Here is a link to my first article, a Q&A with local artist Makeba Rainey. At Little Baby's Ice Cream, we discussed her digital media collages, the impact of gentrification, and the importance of collaboration/community.
I signed AfroVeganChick up for Vegan Mofo 2018, which begins next month. Recipes will be veganized versions of various dishes from all over Africa. The last day to be included is August 24th.
The "Hole History: Origins of the American-Style Donut" is out and looks amazing. It is a small, thick volume that fits easily in my purse. I had went down to Maine last year to see the exhibit (and brought along Dottie's apple fritters). Now the whole show (which had two locations) has been compiled rather impressively. Curator Alexis Iammarino received a Kindling Grant in order for this book to be a reality. Her efforts are worth noting. Plus, I cannot thank her enough for this generous gift. Please read more about the Hole History project-- her baby.

Dottie's Donuts was the perfect place to celebrate. After all, their elberberry and vanilla glazed are the stars of the watercolor painting, "Dear Doughnuts, A Love Letter on the Kente Cloth." 
I'm on page 78. The reproduction is beautiful, very high quality.
The whole layout.
These adorable donuts are in the front and end covers. Overall, it is a well designed book. I am absolutely honored and delighted to have been a part of this. I never thought that making art about something as delicious as donuts would pay off in such a profoundly amazing way. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome interview, and your plan for Vegan MoFo sounds great! And congratulations on your artwork being included in the donut book, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete