Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Vegan Mofo Day 18: Creamy Black Bean, Spinach, & Onion Soup

Soup Number 1.
Brrrr! It's getting colder around these parts.
And I've been sick because of the fluctuating weather. I feel gross most days and only have soup or drink orange juice/tea. Mad the mistake of trying a Starbucks Valencia Orange Refresher..... yuck! Never again!
School has been grand. Yes, it's important to be 100% and not spread those nasty germs around, but I'm quite addicted and use hand sanitizer like it's my boyfriend. I missed Monday seminar because this unknown disease really had me grossed out, but each day is getting better. Well, except my ears are still hot and my throat hurts. Yet, I admit on occasion that the "sick" voice is preferred over my usual tone.
I'm writing about two soups for Vegan Mofo Day 18. Soup is my main food these days and one must find time to be creative even without an emulsifier ( I soooooo need one!). This first soup was a tasty concoction of black beans and spinach with onion appeal. Creamy, rich heartiness much needed between bouts of sleeping, nonstop sneezing, and coughing. I appreciated the overall flavor and warmth provided by such a simple recipe shared with a piece of crusty bread. Toast is a secret weapon for sickly folk. Something about having hot, satisfying soup and crunchy bread stimulates the discombobulated respiratory system even though the nose yearns to understand what's going on. At least I think my nose wants to know.
If you are feeling just dandy, I still highly recommend trying it. Black beans are so good with spinach. Then again, black beans are good with anything.

Creamy Black Bean, Spinach, & Onion Soup Ingredients and Preparation

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic
1/2 cup red onion
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
1 cup water (or low sodium stock, but don't add salt)
3 cup spinach
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Heat oil and garlic into a medium pot.
Add red onion and stir.
Bring in black beans and water/stock.
Simmer.
Turn off heat and add spinach a half cup at a time.
Add seasonings.
Voila!
Lovely soup fit for a sick queen.










2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! And hey, I even have all the ingredients! I'm going to go make it RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete