Friday, October 11, 2013

The Vegan Mofo Roundup With Mashed Potatoes And Smoked Apple Sausage Gravy

September was a great month.
Thank you all for the birthday wishes and entering my first ever blog contest. Congratulations to Amanda on winning my favorite vegan products. I'm hoping to make another soon so that all my lovelies will win more than a recipe.
October has arrived (obviously) and my participation in my first ever Vegan Mofo came to an end. I must thank the organizers for creating such a wondrous event that brings vegans from all over the world to participate and for recognizing two posts- my review on Trader Joe's Chocolate Granola and my homemade Carrot Potato Ginger Soup- influenced by another Mofo blogger. I also have a bunch of recipes in my roster and grandly applaud every last Mofo participant. They have gifted me new recipes to try and refreshing ways to explore the vegan kitchen and beyond. Now I shift focus on next month's Virtual Vegan Potluck, deciding which category to craft an enticing vegan meal and am juggling between- should I create it or use one of these inspiring bookmarked recipes?

Mashed potatoes & gravy are always satisfy the sudden case of the chills. Well, temporarily speaking.
With cold October comes hot meals meant to warm up the body. A great favorite is mashed potatoes and gravy. I've really enjoyed Field Roast's Smoked Apple Sausage. It's been a delicious discovery.

Mashed Potatoes

3 cup water
4 russet potatoes, diced (or any potato, even yams and peel if you want- I don't)
2 tablespoon Earth Balance Culinary Garlic & Herb Spread
1 teaspoon garlic salt (or regular if that's too much garlic for your soul)
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup dairy free milk (I used Almond Breeze Original)

Smoked Apple Sage Gravy

1 cup water
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Sausage, shredded and pulled
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Italian Seasonings
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of paprika

After boiling potatoes for 45 minutes to an hour (once softened to desired consistency), stir in culinary spread, garlic salt, rosemary, oregano, and white pepper, beating potatoes in the process.
Close up of buttery action.
Add milk and whip.
Once removing sausage from casing, I used my fingers to tear it apart.
The sausage pieces are tossed into a skillet of water and olive oil.
Add turmeric, Italian seasonings, black pepper, and paprika. Bring to a simmer for 7-10 minutes.
Pour hot gravy over mashed potatoes.
Mount Mashed Potato. Plant a flag at the top if wanted.
Another view.
Served with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts and broccoli. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Fat bits of wholewheat toast shoved under this delicious gourmet. :-)
    Oh Janyce you have done another wonderful share x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you actually have toast with your mashed potatoes and gravy D? LOL! Thank you so much as always!

      Delete
  2. Delish! I am so happy to hear that you are joining the Virtual Vegan Potluck! Yay! I am going to join but I'm not sure which category yet. I kinda wanna keep things simple so I might go with a beverage or app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee!!! I'm not sure which route I'm going, but always excited for the feast. It's a whole lot of fun!

      Delete