Saturday, December 26, 2015

Butternut Squash Cheeze Sauce & Shells

Butter squash is transformed into a wonderful Velveeta like sauce.
Bah humbug!
Yesterday was the first Christmas I've ever spent alone.
No family or friends.
I watched holiday classics on Youtube and went out to see the latest Star Wars movie in the strange rain.
For a timid feast, desire brewed to concoct a comforting holiday pleaser similar to the Cinderella squash shells Vegan Eats and Treats created. Instead, I wound up mirroring Oh She Glows' butternut squash cheeze sauce. I took the oils and butters away plus did not have arrowroot powder or Dijon mustard. I boiled butternut squash, not too keen to wait on the roasting or roast in extra oils and whatnot. Just slowly, trying to escape from too much badness. I plan to switch from full fat coconut milk to lite coconut milk on the next go round.
Now Butternut Squash Cheeze Sauce over pasta shells--with its creamy, smooth quite impeccable cheesy taste--  turned out surprisingly well for a lonely meal. It almost tasted Kraft like, but better, more sophisticated and animal free. Still, I wished to have found giant shells. Of course, if I had there would be no leftovers. I'm determined to change that over-indulgent, gluttonous part of myself.
However, if anyone knows a grocery store selling larger pasta shells help a lady out anyway.

Butternut Squash Sauce & Shells Ingredients and Preparation

1 1/2 cup water
2 cup butternut squash, cubed
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cup shell pasta

Bring butternut squash to a boil for 13-15 minutes. Drain.
Pour butternut squash into a blender or food processor. Add coconut and almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Puree until rich and smooth.

Pureed to perfection.
Poured over warm shells.
Served with gardein's Turk'y Cutlets and balsamic Brussels sprouts and walnuts.
Yummy central!
Shameless promotion because it tasted so good.

2 comments:

  1. aw, I gotta say, that looks like a pretty special and delicious meal for one. <3 I hope you felt like you made the most of a quiet day with yourself. I always have to get the giant shells at a mainstream grocery store (ie. not whole foods or natural foods store). I think your sauce sounds great, and I'm always up for reducing oil content and maintaining yum content. Warmth and belated holiday wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww! Thank you Amey. You're so kind. Yes, I did have some nice times reflecting on things. Life, art, food-- the usual suspects. Happy belated holiday wishes to you as well. And thank you also for the pasta tip! I must find those shells lol! :)

      Delete