Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Grenada Wrap Up: Sights & Fashion Picto Journal

Gorgeous views of Grenada from the Marian area atop hills beyond beautiful mountain peaks.
This trip was supposed to be ten days and in accordance with the Grenada Chocolate Festival.
Alas, I was able to attend one event on one day as opposed to a fully packed nine day schedule. I had to unfortunately cancel my previous nonrefundable bookings, change my Airbnb dates, and lost my wallet in Atlanta. The unperceived financial losses were vast and severe. If it hadn't been for Moneygram, I doubt that my trip would have been as good as it became.
I spent eight days in the warm pleasant environment of Grenada, right in the heart of the Caribbean. Although things hadn't gone originally planned, most days I had a solid time, especially with my lovely host and her family. The weather was supremely gorgeous--not too scorching hot and it rained every night-- which meant cool breeze s through the window and tranquil noise. In addition to the splendid weather, however, there are lots of stray dogs roaming around the island. I have a stray dog phobia and that made my lonely treks around the island much more timid. I managed in the best way possible to overcome the fear-- at least for a little while.

Majestic views from my sweet Airbnb. My host is also a frequent traveler, having just returned from D.C.

Day One: a flowy, mid-calf asymmetrical dress with thick straps,


Day 2: Afrodelik tank, a gift from a friend.


Breadfruit, one of Grenada's primary food staples, grows almost everywhere. Apparently, breadfruit tastes like a potato or fresh baked bread depending on how it's prepared. It is the star of the national dish called "oil down," a one pot meal consisting of breadfruit, bananas, callaloo (or spinach), coconut milk, and spices. I plan to make a vegan version of this soon.

Day 3L Patterned orange tank dress (backless cutout and pockets), a $5 thrift store find.

My host, her son, and I went out to the beach, the Allamande Resort side of Grand Anse. Mother and son swam together. In fact, her father and father-in-law were also swimming. I watched three generations interactwith pure joy and affection, sadly missing out on the simple wonders of life. I had ordered a swimsuit that never arrived. Still, even if had been tucked into my suitcase, I don't think I would have braved standing in the idyllic waters. I don't know how to swim or how I would be able to withstand the breezy waves.

When one has no buckets to make sand castles, there's other art to make-- albeit flatter and portrait like.


On top of the stray dogs, goats are plentiful. These cuties were in my host's backyard curiously staring at me.
Day 4: This dress that I loved so much that I took it to Paris too. Another thrift store find.
Bus fare is 2.50 (or 93 cents in US dollars). Queen Elizabeth I is on most of the monies here.
Breathtaking views at the Melville Street Cruise Terminal where ships and boats of various styles sit in the harbor.
The Osprey Lines Limited Ferry transports inter-island passengers for 80EC each way ($30 US) to Carriacou and Petit Martinique.
I wish fiction fever wasn't boarded up-- probably was a terrific store too early for the time.
Yes! My dry, thirsty skin was thankful to acquire pure cocoa butter (from House of Chocolate). Leaves the skin super moist and chocolaty smelling.
Splendid views from the other side of Grand Anse Beach.
Day 5: Global Couture T-shirt. On a previous day, I had acquired the worst bug bite. It had infected the right side of my nose bridge and underneath my eye, looking like a horrific purple veined bruise. I splashed water on the painful, stinging infection and massaged in Argan oil and cocoa butter. Good as new the next morning-- or as witnessed here on a sun-kissed outing to the beach.
This brick oven wheat bread loaf was extremely delicious. Often, I warmed and coated slices in an olive oil drizzle. I also broke pieces off for the Sweet Potato Coconut Milk Soup.

Fort George formerly Fort Rupert where Maurice Bishop and several of his followers including his partner Jacqueline Creft were executed in October 1983. After the execution, their bodies were burned at another location. Tragically enough, their remains were never recovered. The Maurice Bishop International Airport, located on Maurice Bishop Memorial Highway, is named after Bishop.
An alarming amounts of blood stained the steps towards the fort. I didn't find the hurt victim for the tracks finally stopped (red drippings were on all of the steps and there were many steps). Thus, in regards to history, what happened to Bishop and his devoted followers, my thoughts turned metaphoric.
Day 6: long sleeved black top with a pretty purple floral skirt. The skirt was too large, but I'll tie a string around it or have someone make belt loops for it. The hat (made of paper) is a gift from a friend-- once part of his thesis exhibit at PAFA.
The Sendall Tunnel, a Grenada's national landmark, is a modest structure built for horses and carriages. Cars and buses and pedestrians travel through this daily, but it can be dangerous for pedestrians.  
I took the bus, a 6XCD ($2.22 USD) trip, towards Greenville, sitting through the gorgeous sights of Grand Etang Rainforest (where one can see cacao pods hanging from the trees).
Beaches of Greenville.

A nice guy bought me a drink. He said, "most ladies drink this." Bitters is a usually a botanically infused alcohol, but this is a non-alcoholic beverage that tastes like a Sprite. The Angostura company, also a distillery, is still around in Trinidad and Tobago,making bitters, rum, and other beverages.
A purple spot that sells chips and drinks along the beach.
The first flight is a short one to Trinidad and Tobago (along a tremendously long layover period) then off to Houston, Texas and New York's LaGuardia Airport.  I look forward to returning to Grenada next year-- with better, ironclad plans.

4 comments:

  1. Love your sand art and pretty thrift store finds! I never knew Granada was so beautiful but now I do thanks to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Beverlee. Yes, it is such a beautiful place filled with absolutely sweet people. I look forward to returning next year.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the travel troubles, but it sounds like it didn't totally destroy your trip. I hope next year will work out better.

    I didn't know Angostura made more than just bitters. That's all I see in the states, little bottles of bitters. I've had the same bottle for 5 years now XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I know enough to be prepared for next year. That's for sure. The non-alcoholic bitters are good. I'd like to try other flavors.

      Delete