Friday, March 1, 2019

Riverdel Hits The Spot in Brooklyn


After my wonderful Chelsea morning of Lynette Yiadom-Boakye at Jack Shainman and Charles White at David Zwirner, I headed to the Brooklyn area with timed tickets to the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum. Beforehand, I thought to try lunch at Riverdel just minutes away.
Riverdel is a lovely small eatery and grocery with plenty of vegan cheese options. They serve breakfast all day and have sweets galore at the register. Decision making is difficult in a place like this, but it brings a big smile to my face knowing that veganism is so much more than what people perceive it to be. The food creativity is endless for us.




While I waited for my food, I received a horrible rejection letter on Single Awareness Day of all days. It destroyed a little hope, a little dream of making art and cooking from the herb garden for three whole weeks in Vermont-- a state never visited. When my Riverdel order arrived on its light wooden tray, a thick croissant sandwich stuffed with vegan bacon, tofu, cheddar, tomatoes, and arugula, my sadness melted. The first bite was incredible, hot and flavorful. Rejection be damned by the delight of delicious comfort food. Afterwards, I had the lightest, scrumptious macarons-- matcha and lemon. They were sweet, airy treats that concluded lunch perfectly.




Riverdel is definitely a fine place to fill spirits. Whether in a good mood or in dismal disposition, this joint in Brooklyn has all the joys required to make anybody's day-- vegan or not. The food is amazing and the workers are very kind. I wish every restaurant in New York City was just as sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment