Thursday, December 28, 2017

Rotini With Walnut & Lentil Sauce


I always find a new spice obsession. This time, it is black sesame seeds.
At Mom's Organic Market, a decent sized plastic bin costs under four dollars and that's plenty of small speckled seasoning to work with. I would have ventured to retrieve the grocery list fennel seeds, an ingredient I haven't used in ages, but the black sesame seeds were in everyone's IG smoothie bowls and savory dishes, looking like black pepper's prickly older cousin. So yes, I have added this to my tofu scrambles and chocolate avocado puddings, loving its gorgeous contrast and minimal flavor profile.
I have been experimenting with walnuts (after pecans and almonds, they're the least expensive to buy raw at Trader Joe's), trying to venture further into my walnut cheese ardor, inventing strategies into incorporating more raw sauces into my life. I added black lentils to my usual recipe to add a fibrous component as well as amp the "meaty" texture (because we vegans love and value the simplicity of walnut meat). This sauce was incredible in the rotini, very thick and cheesy thanks to nutritional yeast and a bit of creamy tahini.
I hope to turn this scrumptious creation into cheese wedges someday. I'm still reading about making homemade bricks/slices. If anyone has any ideas that would be most appreciated. Until then, enjoy walnut & lentil sauce in any pasta (or spiraled veggie that you choose).


Rotini With Walnut & Lentil "Cheese" Sauce Ingredients and Preparation

2 cup Trader Joe's rotini
2 cup walnuts, soaked
1 cup black lentils, drained
1/4 cup tahini
3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 tablespoon liquid aminos
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds

Set aside prepared pasta.
Blend together walnuts, black lentils, tahini, nutritional yeast, liquid aminos, Italian Seasoning, garlic, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and black pepper in food processor or blender, mixing all ingredients evenly. This should come out a bit grainy yet "meaty."
Mix walnut & lentil sauce with pasta. Serve hot and sprinkle generously with black sesame seeds.



6 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds great! LOVE that you used Black Lentils! I did a dish recently using Black Lentils. I have to say I like the Red ones and Black ones way better than the Green/Brown ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! I have had the tri-colored lentils and enjoy the ancient grains soup from Trader Joe's. I'll be sure to check out your recipe. I love black lentils!

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing! I've used walnuts for taco "meat" before, so I can imagine this is wonderful as well. I eat lentils almost daily, and I realized I've never had black lentils!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am going to recommend black lentils for you until the end of time! They're delicious!!! And I love walnut "meat" to pieces. :)

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious, and the black sesame seeds sound like a fun new thing to try!

    ReplyDelete