Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Holiday Activities With Black Beans and Rice

Black beans and rice makes everything nice.
I hope everyone had joyous beginnings to this holiday week and spent the most wonderful time with families and dearest friends whilst delighting in precious splendor of merry music, classic films, red, green, and gold decorations, and good food (please have people try something vegan, cruelty free-- this can be hard yet achievable). I stayed in comfort clothes with scorching heater and teddy bear companion, watching every holiday related film/television episode. I didn't make a huge dinner-- mourned mac n cheese, stuffing, veggies, and gardein turk'y cutlets-- but didn't have the spirit to stay in the kitchen and "wait forever." I suppose lonely days off in December are like that. However, I must say that over the weekend, I tried out the Vedge curated Whole Foods Market menu and the "cheesy" rutabaga and potato mash was excellent as was the mushroom and black lentil stuffing. I have added rutabaga as the one thing to play around with in the new year.

My BFF sent me Frida Kahlo socks and a great mug! I'm over the moon for both!!!  

In addition to "Home Alone," "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York," I also settled in with "Amends," Buffy Season Three, episode ten, a Buffy fan classic.

I worked on my "Better Late Than Never" holiday card whilst devouring JJ's Cocomel's Dark Chocolate Covered Caramels in Sea Salt. It also comes in Espresso, but not a big coffee lover so...
Caramel goodness and a reminder that someone should trim their nails in a more attractive fashion. I haven't cared about my nails in centuries, Perhaps that should change.
Finished-- bespectacled cat sweater and all.

Cutting out cards alongside another gift from a dear friend-- a hand crocheted red mug of hot cocoa with three marshmallows.

At last, my black beans and rice. It's a simple recipe that continues to get better for me as time wears on. I especially believe that black beans and cumin have this beautiful relationship that goes well with a pot of brown rice. Out of all the vegan cheeses, for me personally, Field Roast Chao's Tomato Cayenne has the perfect amount of spice that goes along with the ingredients. Next time, I would love to add diced sun dried tomatoes just to remix things.


Black Beans And Rice Ingredients and Preparation

2 cup brown rice
1 15 oz black beans, rinsed
3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
Field Roast Chao Tomato Cayenne, 3-4 slices, chopped

Cook brown rice according to directions. Lower heat and drain some of the rice water.
Mix in black beans, nutritional yeast, cumin, garlic, and salt, stirring continuously for seven to ten minutes.
Add Field Roast Tomato Cayenne Slices, letting them melt in.
Remove from heat.

Serve black beans and rice with a side of holiday movies like "Frosty the Snowman."

7 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with black beans and rice! And BUFFY!!! Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True!!! I need to watch "Buffy" more often. I didn't realize how much I missed it. :)

      Delete
  2. Well!I hope that you have wonderful holidays.Really love the way you describe it.Will surely try this new recipe.Good Job,Will be waiting for something like that.Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the socks! And the holiday card is so beautiful!!
    I need a good black bean and rice recipe, will be trying this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love love love the socks myself. I appreciate your compliments on the drawing. Thanks. And you can never go wrong with black beans and rice. :)

      Delete
  4. Happy holidays! Sounds like you had a lovely cosy day. Watching Buffy is an important festive tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!It was very simple, sweet, and laid back. And happy holidays to you as well. :)

      Delete