Sunday, September 2, 2018

Vegan Mofo 2018 Post 1: Groundnut Stew With Chickpea Cutlets

Chickpeas are transformed into crispy cutlets served in a whimsical tomato peanut sauce.
Hello Vegan Mofo'ers. Welcome to my blog. For the next few weeks, I will be sharing significant dishes from various African countries, veganizing dishes that are not originally plant based to staple dishes that never contained meat or dairy. I am thrilled to bring cuisine, desserts, breads, and beverages to the table and hope to inspire those encouraged to try new things. I am making all of these for the very first time, utilizing websites such as Foods From Africa and Immaculate Bites to help with planning.



In Mali, the eighth largest country in Africa, the famed groundnut stew/soup (a dish consisting of crushed peanuts), or in other words maafe, is traditionally served with white rice and meat. Mail, however, uses fonio (a porridge) to lap up their creation. Groundnut stew/soup has traveled across various countries with various spices such as cumin, turmeric, ginger, and others to bring a richer, spicier flavor profile. Some regions also add cabbage and root vegetables.

I veganized Immaculate Bites Groundnut Soup and found recipe for chickpea cutlets on Genius Kitchen. The stew (which operates as a gravy to my rice and cutlets) churned out this compelling medley of interesting flavors and the pan seared cutlets were something special partly thanks to using Watusee Foods Chickpea Breadcrumbs.

Groundnut Stew With Chickpea Cutlets Ingredients and Preparation

chickpea cults
1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (used Watusee Foods Original Chickpea Breadcrumbs)
1 tablespoon liquid aminos
1 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil

Mash chickpeas completely.
Mix in ingredients and knead together.
Turn on the heat and warm olive oil in the skillet.
Section into four equal parts and shape them into cutlets.

groundnut stew

1 tablespoon paprika
2 tomatoes (diced or canned tomatoes is also fine)
1 small red onion
1 teaspoon garlic
1/2 cup peanut butter
1.2 cup full fat coconut milk*
pinch of salt and black pepper

Blend paprika, tomatoes, red onions, and garlic in a blender or food processor.
Pour mixture in a medium saucepan. Stir in peanut butter, coconut milk, salt, and pepper.
Serve with rice.

* add more coconut milk or water for a thinner consistency.




10 comments:

  1. Happy VeganMoFo, I love your theme! This recipe sounds delicious - shamefully, I've never made chickpea cutlets. Yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I love making chickpea cutlets. They're fun to make.

      Delete
  2. I love your theme, I love discovering new dishes and flavors.
    This dish looks right up my alley, my taste buds are activated!
    I can't wait to see what else you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was something that I always wanted to do. I feel like I can truly commit this year.

      Delete
  3. This is such an awesome theme! I can't wait to see all the awesome food you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited to share everything that will be made as well as any fascinating history tidbits!!!

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited for your Vegan MoFo theme! The stew and chickpea cutlets sound perfect together; I'll have to try them sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I hope you will-- the stew alone is one of my favorite creations this year.

      Delete
  5. This stew looks more like a magical yum sauce. I should try making a mafe in this style, I always make complicated stews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I now have a huge fondness for peanut stews.

      Delete