Friday, September 7, 2018

Vegan Mofo 2018 Post 6: Vegetable Okro Soup With Chik'in

A meaty soup sans the "meat."
On a cold, rainy First Friday, I opted to stay indoors and have another go at something warm and soupy. It is definitely already feeling like fall. In fact, I heard that Trader Joe's has their traditional pumpkin delights out and everyone knows my deep feelings about those incredible pumpkin bagels.
Still, I have another soup in store for my sixth Vegan Mofo post. We go to Cameroon, a country with the most diverse cuisine, having been colonized by the British and the French. The inhabitants have a huge penchant for vegetables and the fertile ground is good for growing plants like corn, eggplant, plantain, cassava, and okra. In fact, okra is the shining star of the dish.
Traditionally, okro soup has egusi (crushed melon or pumpkin seeds). If you happen to have some on hand, the recipe calls for a 1/2 cup. However, the soup can be created without. It also contains lots of meat and fish, but I sub it with Lightlife Soy Ground and gardein's delicious chik'in sans the orange sauce. You can choose to puree all the vegetables to one smooth consistency. I chose to eat it as a chunky bowl of hot goodness-- one can taste all of the different textured vegetables. Plus, here I try Better Than Bouillon for the first time.

Vegetable Okro Soup With Chik'in Ingredients and Preparation

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 large carrots, chopped
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup frozen okra
2 cup water
1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Paste
1/2 cup soy ground
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 package gardein Mandarin Orange Chik'in
cilantro

Bring ingredients together save for gardein chik'in and cilantro in a medium sized pot.
Simmer for 35-40 minutes until all vegetables are soft and tender.
Pan sear a few of the chik'in at a time.

Toss in cilantro.

Top with pan seared chik'in.

6 comments:

  1. Your soup looks so hearty and perfect for dreary weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! And I just polished off the warm, comforting leftovers for dinner.

      Delete
  2. Soup on a rainy day is one of my favorite things ever!!
    I've never had okra, and I feel like a soup is a good way to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! Soup is the best pick me up. Okra is a strange little plant. Some hate it. Others love. Depends on how you prepare. I think it's good cornmeal'ed and fried or in soup.

      Delete
  3. Oh, lovely! Last week I saw okra on a menu in Prague for the first time ever and now I'm going insane trying to figure out where I can buy it myself. As soon as I get my hands on it, I'm going to try this soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It's good to know that okra is available in Prague. I would have never guessed. I hope you will acquire some delicious okra and prepare okro soup. It's good.

      Delete