Thursday, September 6, 2018

Vegan Mofo 2018 Post 5: Ful Medames

Lemon and garlic bring delight to mashed fava beans. 
Egypt has one of the longest tracings of historical documentation (including the hieroglyphics writings and pharaoh tombs and pyramids). The diet happens to be rich in vegetarian offerings like legumes and vegetables. Plus, their whole philosophy is eating from the ground The most popular item to eat for breakfast is ful medames (mashed fava beans with olive oil and spices). In fact, it is primarily vegan and many vegan bloggers have specified falling hard for the simple dish. Historians believe that ful medames dates back to as far as Ancient Egypt.
Forks Over Knives recipe by Del Sroufe served as a model.
In my quick and easy version, (Sroufe would sternly disapprove) I used canned beans as opposed to the traditional dried beans that must be cooked for two hours. I would certainly be honored to go that route if dried fava beans could be found around my area. Perhaps that's for online in the future. Still, the canned fava beans are alright. I also added chopped mushrooms and bell peppers, entirely optional. Egyptians are fond of adding pretty tomatoes and generous amounts of parsley garnish.
Served alongside brown rice, the meal is hearty and fulfilling. The flavors are just amazing. I have only have fava beans in falafel so it was nice having them on their own.

*Side note, my second article for The Artblog was published today. I wrote about The Common Room: a gallery, workspace, and shop in the Fishtown area of Philadelphia, promoting womxn and non-binary artists. Read it here.

Ful Medames Ingredients and Preparation

1 can fava beans, drained and rinsed
olive oil
1/4 cup red or yellow onion
1/4 cup mushrooms
4 small bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon lemon
1 teaspoon salt

Bring fava beans to boil.
In a skillet, combine olive oil, onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, and salt.
Drain the beans and mash until the beans look like chunky puree.
Mix with the vegetable mixture.
Turn off heat and serve.

Ful medames all browned and ready.

Great with rice.

8 comments:

  1. I love ful! I was introduced to it by Zsu Dever's book Vegan Bowls as a savoury breakfast and don't eat it often enough.

    That said, I love your MoFo theme! Everything you have posted looks so delicious and I can't wait to see what else you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your compliments. I'll try to find that book. And yes, ful is sooooooooooooo good. I can see myself making it often.

      Delete
  2. I've only had this delicious dish once and it was HEAVEN!
    I agree with Things2eat, your MOfo theme is great and I'm loving the recipes and learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm having a blast right now. Each dish is more filling than the last. Ful will definitely be my new frequent breakfast.

      Delete
  3. I love fava beans, but I've never had them with mushrooms before. That sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting! Yes, I agree-- fava beans are good. The mushrooms just amp up the meaty appeal of the ful. Perfect relationship.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of ful medames before; I'll definitely have to give your recipe a try! And The Common Room sounds like such an incredible space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! I hadn't heard of it either and now it's a new love. I appreciate you reading the Artblog piece. Thank you! The Common Room is wonderful.

      Delete