Thursday, March 8, 2018

Flourless Chocolate Coconut Cake



Imagine a bad day. A terrible day. The most vicious.
First of all, personally speaking, I rarely have smooth time of the month orbits. Some vegan women do. They have discussed that their cramps go away among other painful side effects of these three to seven day body things, even going as far as saying that they no longer have them or what else comes with Mother Nature's arrival. Again, that is not me. I suffer. Not every month, however.
Last month, I hadn't had one. Yesterday it came on top of the horrific bad day of snow fall and bus cancellations and likely no refunds for the planned journey to Baltimore for Njideka Akunyili Crosby's solo show at the Baltimore Museum of Art (which closes this coming Sunday) and lunch at the pristine black owned vegan restaurant Land of the Kush.
I was miserable and teary eyed and in emotional, mental, and physical anguish throughout, angered and disillusioned, having waken up at 6AM, made it to the bus station, and being told that no buses were going out. It sucked.
Chocolate saved the sadness. I found a recipe for chocolate cake on Eggless Cooking and altered it a bit. I didn't take pictures of the batter of beets and chickpeas. The pretty pink had an effect on me, this lively pink like that of some color on an oil paint palette, seemed to uplift my dwindled spirits.


Flourless Chocolate Coconut Cake Ingredients and Preparation

1 cup beets
2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup baking cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup chocolate chips

In a medium saucepan cook beets and chickpeas together for 5-7 minutes.
Drain a little bit of the water and blend the beets, chickpeas, and coconut oil inside food processor or blender until smooth and creamy.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and coconut flakes.
Combine wet and dry ingredients.
Add vanilla and chocolate chips.
Pour batter into desired pan. (I used a 10 inch foil pan from the dollar store)
Bake for 40-50 minutes.

It won't rise much and it's pretty dense and moist. More like a fudgy brownie than a cake.

Topped with So Delicious Coco Whip on a colorful flower plate.

Chocolate cake heaven.

Snow may be the foe of the day, but chocolate almost saved me.

4 comments:

  1. My time of the month is never smooth either. I also have hear vegan women claim that going vegan helped them, but mine has remained the same cramp filled affair as always.
    I'm so sorry you had such a rough day, only to be made rougher by the time. Sending hugs. I know how hard it is to recover from those days.
    The cake looks wonderful. I love a fudgy cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! *hugs back*
      It isn't the easiest subject to talk about, especially on a lifestyle blog, but we should openly discuss these pains sometime. If we're in agony, why not let the readers in on it? Shouldn't be a secret, you know? I'm sorry that you still have the same struggles too. *sigh*

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough day, but I am glad that the chocolate cake helped! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I'm still utterly surprised that chickpeas and beets make for a winning combination!

      Delete