Sunday, January 22, 2017

Chickpea Salad Melts


Is there any ingredient more versatile than the grand ole chickpea? I believe not.
Chickpeas have now graduated from savory menu items like hummus, salads, gravies, and creams. Its excitingly all-the-current-vegan-rage aquafaba (chickpea water) is now a major factor for perfect vegan meringue. I cannot wait to test out the properties of this amazing information. It would be such a dream to make Mom the perfect lemon meringue cookies if possible. May is around the corner. I can think of no other scrumptiously perfect Mother's Day/birthday gift treat.
However, this post is the savory category for chickpeas.
I readily admit to eating chickpeas every other day-- in a variety of ways. It's fascinating how extra garlic here or a pinch of lemon juice there can shift a chickpea recipe. In this salad, instead of vegan mayo, which was supposed to be used to make that exceptional "tuna" flavored appeal, I substituted with Hilary's Ranch Chia Dressing (which I happen to love very much). End results were an incredibly tasty, chunky salad between two thin slices of bread, my favorite vegan cheese melting perfectly over the textured filling.
I have zero regrets about eating two.

Chickpea Salad Melts Ingredients and Preparation

1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped and diced
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
2 tablespoon Hilary's Ranch Chia Dressing
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
vegan cheese of your choosing (I chose Field Roast Chao Tomato Cayenne)

Break up the chickpeas in a blender or processer-- make sure the consistency is not too smooth, leave it a bit chunky.
Pour chickpea mass into a bowl.
Stir in celery, red onion, mayo, salt, lemon juice, Old Bay, and black pepper.
Spread on desired bread. (Here I've used some delicious 3 grain seeded bread).
Melt cheese via way stove top, microwave, or toaster oven. Or make a velvety cheese sauce to save yourself this glorious trouble.






2 comments:

  1. I love chickpea tuna melts, subbing vegan ranch for mayo sounds like an AMAZING idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you!!! I didn't have any vegan mayo, but I'm glad the ranch worked out. :)

      Delete