Monday, July 23, 2012

Vegan Baked Chickpea And Green Pea Balls

Yummy curried chickpea balls a hot dance on the tongue!
Ah falafel.
One of my favorite meals to eat vegan.
My vegan younger sister introduced it to me a couple of years ago and I've been addicted ever since.
Vegan Yack Attack's Baked Spinach Falafel
That site always has the most compelling recipes with the falafel catching my eye.
However, since not having all the necessary components for the popular Mediterranean fare, and having chickpeas ruling my brain, I decided to bake to my heart's content sans the parsley, paprika, and oats. (okay, I had oats, but still...)
Instead of spinach, I used yummy yummy green peas, my favorite!

Ingredients

1 15 ounce can rinsed and drained chickpeas
1/2 cup cooked green peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Note: Cumin and Coriander are ingredients in curry powder.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.

Shower your chickpeas with a waterfall in the sink.
Mix well with green peas.
Add olive oil, garlic, onions, lemon juice, & curry powder.
Add four remaining dry ingredients.
I placed mixture in blender & stirred for a while, mashing a majority of the chickpeas, but keeping some whole.
On a greased cookie sheet, scooped out a tablespoon balls, spreading them evenly apart. Bake for 15 minutes each on both sides.
On a bed of brown rice & delicious salsa, topped the dish with these delicious chickpea balls & nutritional yeast.
Yum! Yum! Yum!
Also a very, very great sandwich in the wee hours of morning....
Yum!
I must have said that how many times this post?
Well, it's delicious, especially those little surprising chickpeas that weren't mashed by the evil blender blade. It has a touch of sweetness, a slight crunch, & chewy center. Actually tastes a bit meaty and would be perfect atop of spaghetti.
Going the nontraditional route by not making a tzatkiki sauce, the salsa added a perfect amount of heat, complimenting the flavors of sensually spiced chickpeas perfectly.
In fact on the sandwich, salsa was the topping too.
Just a fiery blend of tomatoes, cilantro, white onions, and peppers to marry with great tasting chickpea balls- a match made in tongue/belly heaven!
Mmmhmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment