Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Yellow Squash Raspberry Ice Cream

Turn this yellow squash into ice cream?
In a prior post for my cold treats series this week, I specified that no sugar would be added to my recipes, but in using squash as a primary ingredient, the sugar was desperately needed... 

Ingredients

1 frozen banana

Butternut Squash Puree
1 squash, chopped and cooked
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup plain soy milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup fresh raspberries

Pan fried in olive oil for 20 minutes in a medium heat covered skillet.
Mixed all ingredients in a blender adding raspberries last.
Refrigerated puree and froze a banana overnight.
12 hours later, took out puree and banana.
Blend puree and banana.
Cover and freeze.
It was peculiar tasting.
The whole experience quite similar to picking petals off flowers groaning, "someone loves me, someone loves me not..." One minute, I liked it and the next it was no, how can I bear to continue.
Sweet, tart, and coolly refreshing on taste buds, warm spices and squash were surprisingly delicious. I just wish this delightful "autumn" divine treat had crispier oats. (granola maybe?) Next time sans bananas and using raspberries solely as a topping and not an actual ingredient in the ice cream itself. Those two fruits were definitely the downfall of experiment.
While eating, I had a major hunch that one doesn't have to cling so tightly to the belief that a banana alone makes the best vegan ice cream. It has a strong flavor that refuses to be a background note.
So thus will make squash puree, maybe add a bit or orange or lemon extract, agave nectar, and freeze it. 
Then we'll see if my suspicions are right on the nose!

No comments:

Post a Comment