Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Roasted Yellow Squash Lasagna For One & A Beyond Meat "Beef Free Crumbles" Review

Who needs pasta when squash is cheaper and readily up to task!
Last week, Beyond Meat tweeted me a surprise coupon for a free product! I just got around to Whole Foods yesterday and used their delicious meat free crumbles (for the first time!) in an incredible pasta-less lasagna. I also originally went to the store with zucchini intentions (knowing that I craved veggie lasagna), but they were all out. Yet yellow squash were plentiful. Overall a good decision- brought more pretty colors into the mix. The broccoli was already the green factor. Our next veggie lasagna- believe me there will be a next time- will include carrots, asparagus, and mushrooms. Oh goodness, I'm already drooling at the thought...

In your grocer's freezer, check out Beyond Meat's Beef Free Crumbles in these sleek designed reusable zipper packages.
100% vegan, gluten free, no cholesterol, no soy, Non-GMO, kosher goodness.
For a short little review, I must say that Beyond Meat is astounding. The appearance, texture and flavor profiles were a savory consistency, almost mimicking the real to a science. Even the smell tantalized my nostrils. They really put a huge emphasis on the Beyond Meat name. I applaud their efforts, especially considering that there's no soy here! Wow. I always use soy ground for pasta sauces and never imagined that there can be a ground without soy. It's a very yummy creation. I needed this. One of my favorite Instagram accounts Another Hungry Vegan always posts pictures with various products like their chickenless strips and I've been aching to try them for a while. So again, I thank them for the generous coupon and baffling the cashier and for making lasagna an out of this world experience. What a gratifying way for a hungry gal to "beef" up a meal!
Although I say that this lasagna is one serving, I bet it could be split into two with a side salad and bread roll. I just happened to be extremely ravenous after three hours spent in rainy downtown (walking to and fro for my official No Transpass Month). Thank heavens for Feist's "Sealion" saving the almost dreary evening. Oh and the lasagna of course.
Unfortunately, our kitchen light bulb went out and all photos are taken in my well lit bedroom, cropped accordingly. No one wants to see a cookie sheet on a desk or witness a grown woman watching Pepper Ann reruns whilst forking her vegan dinner.

Roasted Yellow Squash Lasagna Ingredients and Preparation

1 yellow squash, cut long ways
2 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon Italian Seasonings
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup broccoli, steamed
1/2 cup Beyond Meat Feisty Beef Free Crumbles
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

On a greased baking sheet, create one layer of sliced squash coated in coconut oil, Italian Seasonings, salt, garlic, and black pepper. Bake for 30 minutes- turning at 15 minute intervals. In a skillet, mix Beyond Meat's Beefless Feisty Crumbles with tomato sauce and nutritional yeast- cooking for 7-9 minutes.
To be honest, it collapsed. But bottom is one squash slice, topped by broccoli, another squash slice, Beyond Meat sauce, and another squash slice, and so forth. Extra nutritional yeast decor.
Close up of lasagna action.










No comments:

Post a Comment