Saturday, November 24, 2018

Vegan Pumpkin Pie

Coconut Reddi Whip tops an easy, scrumptious pumpkin pie packed with warm, flavorful notes on a thick flaky crust. 
I'm still learning new vegan things daily.
In fact, I have a whole list of future recipes to tackle. Chocolate croissants are an ultimate fantasy. Mushroom Wellington would be superb. Raviolis from scratch is a close reality. My current refrigerator situation is cashew cheese wrapped in a cheesecloth for a baked "cheese" wedge. I pray that it comes out just as good as an artisan Miyoko's Kitchen spread.
My memories, however, are humbled and delighted by my first attempt at making pie-- a yummy pumpkin pie for our introductive Friendsgiving. It is a combination of The Spruce Eats' crust recipe and Loving It Vegan's eight ingredient pumpkin pie. Although not aesthetically beautiful in this inception (partly due to Trader Joe's coconut milk having a separation issue), the impact of light pumpkin melding on a crust with Reddi Whip on top mirrored a childhood past-- my preference for pumpkin over sweet potato coming on strong and sincere. Most importantly, sharing this dessert among new friends made this year, at this imperative stage of my life, was a fated takeaway. I needed not only to bake pumpkin pie, I needed to share this effort with these specific people, blessing our home with respect, tenderness, and joy.
My heart and soul goes into cooking and baking. A guest taking in a slice of pie receives that love and warmth inside.

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ingredients and Preparation

2 cup flour
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon cold vegan butter (used Miyoko's Kitchen)
3 tablespoon cold water
2 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of cinnamon

1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar (or maple syrup)
1/4 cup arrowroot or cornstarch
2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

If making crust, combine flour, sugar, salt, and cold butter cubes until mixture is crumbly.
Mix cold water and olive oil and add to the flour.
Knead and cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Roll out dough and carefully transfer into a pie pan, pressing it in along the way.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine pumpkin, coconut milk, brown sugar, sugar, arrowroot/cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and salt together.
Pour into prepped or store bought crust.

Homemade uncooked crust.

Bake for 50-60 minutes-- filling should be slightly firm. The center will wobble. Chill in the refrigerator for four hours.


Pumpkin pie and fresh lemonade-- homemade is the best made.

3 comments:

  1. Funny you are moving away from the Sweet Potato pie and I will probably be moving TOWARDS it lol. My father in law will ALWAYS make a pumpkin pie, and it is not vegan at all. So every year I think about making a sweet potato pie because it seems silly otherwise to have two pumpkin pies. I didn't this year, I tried making turnip pie, and it was, not the worst lol So next year it will be sweet potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Wow. Turnip pie??? That's different. I loved the Harvest Pie Barb from Gone Pie Vegan makes. It's a combination of butternut squash, sweet potato, and pumpkin. Yes, I love sweet potato pie. It's soon good. Yet pumpkin is my favorite.

      Delete
    2. That is such a good idea to do a little bit each

      Delete