Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Budget Grocery Go & A Pasta Dinner

On a budget, this feisty artist/writer gal is out to prove people wrong about this "high priced" vegan lifestyle stereotype.
Plus there's a rumor going around that I'll be too slender to walk. Much less hang out in the wind.
Going about this cheap, easy, and smart, I'll show them all that I can keep my "sistah curves" and be healthy on top of that.
Today I winged it at my neighborhood grocery, but I promise to be more coupon savvy in future posts.
I've signed up for a lot of coupon clubs. So believe me, I'll be prepared. :)


Armed with only $17, that was my receipt.
And what did I get for only that much?


9 little items.
Lightlife's soy ground is my absolute favorite. The crumbles are textured properly, have a lovely brown color, and flavorful taste, especially their Taco Seasoning Soy Ground. It was 20 cents off the original price today and I couldn't have been happier. $2.79 is not bad for a six serving package that makes incredible sloppy joes, meatloaf, meatballs, and other amazing substitutions for real beef.
Two cans of Muir Glenn stewed tomatoes in original and fire roasted were on sale 2 for $3 & I also had a dollar off coupon! Never had these before, but I'm sure I'll find some great online vegan recipes.
On an episode of Dr. Oz last week, he recommended buying frozen vegetables instead of frozen because they still contain their nutrients, last longer than fresh produce, and cost a lot less.
So I got the store brand frozen peas, spinach, and broccoli at $1 each.
The Odwalla juices (Mango Smoothie and B Blueberry) were the best value of the trip- buy one get one free saving me $3.49! These are not from concentrate, have a lot of vitamins and minerals, and have no added sugar.
I personally would only drink one serving (has 4) and have lots of water throughout my day. I've seen people gulp an entire bottle of these, Bolthouse, and Naked juices.
So much sugar.....
Though also store brand, Private Selection is of sound quality and at $5.99 their olive oil was the most expensive item. Usually I would go for something a bit pricier and like my EVOO to be a dark, rich green, I figured that this would do for now.
Plus the bottle looks so pretty! (Yes, I'm a shallow vegan! Heehee!)
For dinner used some of that very olive oil and spinach for Fettuccine Ala No Fredo.
When the pasta was halfway done, I added about 1 1/2 cups of frozen spinach and mushrooms.
Once the trio passed cooking time, due to thickening there wasn't much water to drain!
A bit of almond milk (a tablespoon or less), 2 teaspoons of minced garlic, and a hand full of delightfully addictive Daiya mozzarella sprinkles later and voila dinner was ready!


I shared the pasta fare with my brother over a sparkling grape beverage and I doubt he believed it to be vegan.
But it was! There's no denying the yummy truth. Hahaha!
Delicious and oh so creamy, I was too fulfilled to attempt making a dessert.
Maybe something tomorrow?

2 comments:

  1. I liked your new blog! The layout and background is a lot of fun and fits the blog so well :) I'm a vegetarian and thinking of going vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danielle! Glad that it meets your approval. Heehee. :)
    Hopefully I can help in some way if you want to make the transition from vegetarian to vegan. It's hard at times, but I've only just completed day 4. Finding new recipes to try everyday helps me to get through the hurdles!

    ReplyDelete