Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chocolate Banana Olive Oil Coconut Cake



Olive oil being so wonderful, I wanted to make a deliciously sweet treat from it and Google-d olive oil cake. There were many recipes, some looked very delicious (like an Orange Marmalade Olive Oil Cake that I'll make in the distant future!) While others weren't as appealing.
Google also had me in directions that called for vegetable or canola oils.
Not my beloved olive.
So I decided to do a little risk taking.
I took a recipe from this beautiful food blog and made some alterations on it.
Meaning I added olive oil amongst other things.
Wanted to see if it could make an awesome cake!

http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2011/02/chocolate-banana-cake/

Chocolate Banana Olive Oil Coconut Cake

1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
1 ripened banana (mine had been black for two weeks if that makes any difference)
1/3 cup olive oil (I used Private Selection's California cold pressed extra virgin)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 sugar
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch of ground ginger
1/2 cup of unshredded coconut (optional)

Very Runny Coconutty Glaze

1/2 cup almond milk
1 1/2 cups of confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut
A splash of vanilla and almond extracts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease (with olive oil)/flour a nine inch cake pan.

Blend and mash the almond milk, banana, olive oil, vanilla, and sugar until smoothly uniformed.
Add all of the dry ingredients, making sure to mix well with a sturdy hand.
Pour mixture into prepared pan, pop baby in the oven, wash the dishes, and prepare the glaze.
Cake should bake for about 20-25 minutes. Maybe longer. Mine took 23 tops.
If it doesn't come out- don't fret! Take a knife, circle around the cake, and flip it onto a plate and spread the glaze on top!
I enjoyed my results.
The cake was super moist and velvety with a simply divine chocolaty taste!
If anyone wanted to make this a two tiered dessert, you only just double the recipe!
Only had one slice, but I'm craving more before bedtime....

No comments:

Post a Comment