Friday, September 13, 2013

Vegan Spinach, Tomato, And Tofu Bread Pudding

Savory bread pudding to satisfy the melted heart.
Friday the 13th Mofo.
Thankfully, I'm alive after last night and can cross off another 30 Before 30 Bucket List event- going to Electric Factory to see the free Trey Songz concert and swooning at some very, very sensual lyrics. How was I supposed to paint after that, let alone walk the twenty minutes back to school after that experience? I suppose there's some truth to the "not everything in life is free." My soul got taken away for an hour and thirty minutes. Slowly, it's returning back to me. I will not post any Trey pictures here, especially the twenty shirtless pictures marathon (gawd, I feel like a sleazy feminist). As long as I don't remember that someone threw her panties on stage or feel envy at the lady who caught his sweat soaked tank top.....
Speaking of cheesy, (I know I said sleazy), this spinach and tofu bread pudding is a solid comfy cure after a night of dancing with strangers and counting the ten men in lady filled crowd (so brave). I always find it surprising that my blog's top post is Banana Bread Pudding and figured that well, might as well make a savory kind. I'm sure the French bread could be sweetened (have lots of bananas and an apple here), but this recipe from Food And Wine to veganize sounded perfect for that dried up, hard as a rock loaf of bread that kept staring at me- unused food truly does that.
Adding plain crumbled tofu sounds frightening, but the tomatoes and milk mixture definitely give that amazing "feta" flavor and texture. Pretty delicious experiment- except will definitely add more milk for a creamier, thicker pudding. Spinach is always a good. Don't ever discount spinach. Remember Popeye. He raised us all to believe in the power of green. *flexes arm muscle*
After stuffing myself silly, I still imagine Trey staying in Philly to sample a vegan meal from my kitchen- some savory bread pudding instead of those pineapples he kept singing about....

Vegan Spinach And Tofu Bread Pudding Ingredients and Preparation

1/2 Trader Joe's French bread loaf, torn and pieced
2 cup spinach
1/2 cup tofu feta
1/2 cup tomato, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 1/2 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix almond milk with salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Set aside.

Oil pan & layer bread & spinach.
Top with crumbled tofu.
Add tomato & red onion.
Pour over milk mixture & let soak for 30 minutes to an hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
Heaven awaits.
Bowl of promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment